Ginger "Puff Puff" recipe
Puff-Puff, Mikate, Gbofloto, Beignet… these are only some of the names given to this delicious African snack food. It can be served for breakfast, snack time or even as a dinner party dessert. The recipe has many versions, but here will show you how to make the puff puff with self raising flour. The ingredients are quite basic, all you need is:
• Self-rising flour,
• Oil to deep fry
The fun part is that you can decide what to add to the mix for extra flavour. Our favourites are the ginger puff-puff and the banana puff-puff, but you can add anything you want – coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange or lemon zest… you name it! Oh... I almost forgot! We don't put any eggs or dairy, so their perfect for vegan too!
Saucepan for deep frying
Ice cream scoop
• 3 cups Self-rising flour,
• 1 ½ cup Sugar
• 1 ½ - Water
• 4 tsp Natural Ginger Flakes
• Frying oil
1. Put the Natural Ginger Flakes in a processor and pulse until it looks like fine flour.
2. Add all the ingredients in a bowl then mix.
3. Pour the oil into a deep pot until it is half full and preheat
4. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop up the batter mix and drop it in the hot oil – this will help you create a round shape. Keep a cup of warm water close by to wet the scoop after every 4-5 scoops.
5. Fry for few minutes on one side, then turn on the other side with the help of a skimmer.
6. Once they are golden brown, remove from the oil and place on Kitchen roll.
7. Serve plain or with maple source, chocolate souce, vanilla ice cream... or anything you fancy.